oppn parties How Will The Government Fund The Rs 102 Lakh Crore Of Investments?

News Snippets

  • Supreme Court approves two-child norm for government jobs in Rajasthan
  • DMK issues rocket ad with Chinese flag, PM Modi slams party
  • BJP alleges that Congress workers raised slogans like 'Pakistan jindabad' outside Karnataka assembly after the results for the RS polls were declared. CM Siddaramaiah promises stern action if claim found true
  • Calcutta HC says any agency can arrest absconding Sandeshkhali TMC strongman Sk Shahjahan
  • Himachal Pradesh Speaker suspends 15 BJP MLAs for unruly behaviour
  • Joint teams of Navy, NCB and Gujarat ATS seized a boat with 3200kgs of narcotics in high seas off Gujarat coast. Five crew members were also arrested
  • Centre tells Supreme Court that economic disaster will follow if states are allowed to tax mineral land
  • NCLT asks Byju's to keep rights issue funds in a different account
  • Sunil Bharti Mittal of Bharti Enterprises was conferred the honorary Knighthood by Britain's King Charles III for services rendered in furthering business relations between the UK & India
  • RIL to merge Viacom18 with Disney's Star in $8.5bn deal, Nita Ambani to lead the board of merged entity
  • Vodafone Idea shares fall nearly 15% over fears of huge fund raising
  • Stock markets crash on Wednesday: Sensex loses 790 points to 72304 and Nifty 247 points to 21951
  • BCCI gets tough, removes Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan from central contracts for missing Ranji Trophy. In a first, it starts fast bowling contracts to reward emerging players like Akash Deep and four others
  • Tennis: Sumit Nagal loses in first round of Dubai Duty Free tournament
  • WPL: UP Warriorz beat Mumbai Indians by 7 wickets
Bengal police arrests TMC leader Sk Shahjahan, the prime accused in the Sandeshkhali disturbances
oppn parties
How Will The Government Fund The Rs 102 Lakh Crore Of Investments?

By Sunil Garodia
First publised on 2020-01-04 13:18:31

About the Author

Sunil Garodia Editor-in-Chief of indiacommentary.com. Current Affairs analyst and political commentator.

Announcing an ambitious revival package of Rs 102 lakh crore (to be invested in infrastructure projects in the next 6 years) for the economy shows that the government is aware of the problem and will take measures to reverse the downturn. But if one considers the fact that the government had managed to invest just Rs 51.2 lakh crore in such projects in the last six years, the doubling of this amount for investment in the next six years seems to be a daunting prospect, more so because government finances are under considerable strain and it has not spelled out how it will fund the projects.

The government has said that 78 percent of the projects will be shared equally by the Centre and the states while it expects the rest (22%) to be taken up by the private sector. But there are two things that make one wonder how the stiff targets will be achieved - one, the paucity of funds and two, the quality of the projects in the pipeline.

Both the Centre and the states are strapped for funds as tax collections are subdued as the economy continues to wobble. The Centre has delayed payments to states in the last two months. The cess on GST is unlikely to make up for the shortfall in the state's share. So where will the funds come from?

Further, the projects in the pipeline are not very attractive. Some of them are power projects and given the fact that they have very long gestation periods along with the fact that there is a huge subsidy on power tariff to farmers and others making them unprofitable, how is the government hoping that the private sector will take up as much as 22% of the investment proposals.

The government is facing a chicken and egg syndrome. The economy will not get a leg up if investments are not made and funds for investments (through increased tax collections) cannot come if the economy does not lookup.

The government will have to arrange for funds fast. It will have to look at all options like selling a stake in PSUs and floating foreign bonds for a limited amount. But the best way seems to be the bond route. If infrastructure bonds are floated and if the corporate bonds market is made transparent and vibrant by removing bottlenecks (as regularly suggested by The Economic Times in its editorials), ready cash can be expected to be ploughed in infrastructure projects by the man on the street. Till now, such bonds are privately placed and held to maturity. This will change if bonds find buyers in an open market. The common man will invest as they will pay more than bank fixed deposits, will be rated by rating agencies and there will be a ready market for them like shares and mutual funds. The government must seriously look at this route.

Read the latest The Economic Times editorial on funding through bonds here